- Cooked mussel meat 450g
- Small onion, finely diced 1
- Lemon, zest and juice 1
- Chopped parsley 2 tbsp
- Chopped basil 2 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Fritter batter (recipe follows)
- Egg whites 3
- Process half the mussel meat in a food processor until finely minced and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Coarsely chop the remaining mussel meat and add to the bowl along with the onion, lemon zest and juice, parsley, basil leaves and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together and add enough fritter batter to just hold the mixture together.
- Whisk the egg whites until firm peaks and fold into the fritter mix.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little vegetable oil.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over to serve and top with a dollop of mayonnaise.
- Peanut oil 2 tbsp
- Red onion, cut into wedges 1/2
- Red capsicum, seeded and chopped 1/2
- Garlic, smashed 2 cloves
- Ginger, peeled and sliced 1 (2cm)
- Shao xing wine 2 tsp
- XO sauce 3 tbsp
- Light soy sauce 2 tsp
- Sugar 2 tsp
- Lobster stock 100ml
- Sesame oil 1/2 tsp
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion, capsicum, garlic and ginger until fragrant
- Pour in the shao xing wine, XO sauce, soy sauce, sugar, lobster stock and sesame oil
- Simmer and reduce by a third
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and cool
Source : New Zealand Trade and Enterprise.